Oct 10, 2019
10/10 Sustainability Day of Service
Today Xcel Energy Center, home of the MN Wild, and Saint Paul RiverCentre officially celebrated a decade of sustainability and their recent LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum Certification.
The momentous day featured an employee gathering at 10:10 a.m. on the 10-year anniversary of the launch of the program to recognize the organization’s sustainability achievements and share future goals. In addition, the event kicked off a Sustainability Day of Service where employees focused on supporting the sustainability of the local community through storm drain adoption, river clean up, urban farming and park maintenance and clean up.
- 33 staff members participated
- STORM DRAIN STENCILING: Ten storm drains were stenciled to help educate the public on keeping debris out of the drains, which results in healthier communities and waterways.
- ADOPT A RIVER: As part of the organization’s commitment to the Conservation Corps of MN and IA’s Adopt-A-River program, staff removed 367 pounds of debris from the Mississippi River banks. Of that number, they were able to recycle 147 pounds. Staff removed general trash, metal rebar, a love seat, TV, book shelf, end table and a dehumidifier from this important waterway.
- URBAN FARMING: Staff members supported Frogtown Farms, a certified organic, urban demonstration farm, at their fall harvest celebration.
- LOCAL PARKS: Staff members cleaned, weeded, mulched, trimmed and painted two Saint Paul parks.